Thursday, August 02, 2007

Movie Review - Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix

I saw Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix last Friday (I know; I've been slacking on the blogging) at the Fox Theater in Westwood.

Fox Theater (also known as Mann Theater, and it's still operated by Mann Theaters, the same company that operates Grauman's in Hollywood) is possibly the coolest vintage theater I've been to. There's one screen, and it's easy to imagine the stars of Hollywood's Golden Era going to see the latest film here. It's still used for movie premieres. There's some interesting art deco architecture going on in the interior. Very classy.

The movie was all right. I've been unenthusiastic about Harry Potter lately, and I haven't quite pinned down the reason yet. I've read the books through OftP, and I have no desire to read the sixth or the seventh book. I think I'm mostly bored by the mass interest in the books and movies and I've been more than disappointed in the less-than-stellar writing. I think the books suffer from the 'good idea-bad execution' problem. The movies, on the other hand, are very well done, although I was disappointed in the plot simplification (in regards to the Marauder's Map) in Prisoner of Azkaban (possibly my favorite of the series). Or maybe Rawling's stories translate better to the screen than on paper.

The special effects in the film were very cool, although I envisioned a more cramped space that the final battle took place in. And anything with Helena Bonham Carter is worth a looksee.

My general comment on Ralph Finnes as Voldemort is that he sounds (and looks) kind of like he did in The English Patient, one of my favorite movies, without the smouldering sexuality. In the Harry Potter movies he's just creepy in a sad and pathetic way. I find that disappointing.

I really liked the casting choice of Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood - I thought she was perfect for the job. I thought Emma Thompson as Sybil Trelawney was an interesting choice, but I was disappointed that her prophecy scene was deleted in the film (this is the story she makes the prophecy, isn't it?).

Daniel Radcliffe will be a young actor to watch I think; it will be interesting to see the jobs he takes on after Harry Potter is over with.

Maybe I expect too much from a "children's story". Or maybe I feel that the substance in Harry Potter is "easy" and not complex enough for me to spend much time pondering on.

No comments: