Friday, August 10, 2007

Restaurant Review - FuRaiBo

It's FuRaiBo Friday!

I have yet to expound on the glory that is the Japanese Fried Chicken they serve at FuRaiBo. Every once in a while some of my coworkers and I will pull an extra-long lunch to indulge in the deliciousness that is the lunch experience at FuRaiBo.

Only at lunch is the fried chicken (I believe it's called Karaage) served as an entree. At dinnertime, the only fried chicken you can get is part of a larger, bento-box meal (slightly different from the DIY bento box lunch). For just under $7.00 you get a feast of a lunch:

miso soup
pickled veggies
steamed rice
salad
fried chicken

Their miso soup is the best I've had in South Bay - it's that good. If you don't like steamed rice you can always spike it with the spicy furikake they provide at the tables (it's in a shaker next to the soy sauce).
While I have to admit that their salad (shredded lettuce topped with cucumber spears and tomato wedges) is ho-hum, it's a good complement to the chicken.

A lot of people I know get the double teba (double order of wings), but I usually get the teba-chita (order of wings with a whole leg-thigh). I like the crispy, fatty, sweet and spicy goodness of the outside, but it's unparalleled when combined with the juicy, perfectly cooked meat within. It's truly an indulgence in fried foods, one of those things like fried calamari that is best enjoyed in a restaurant because it's too effort-intensive to make at home.

I go to the FuRaiBo in Gardena, but apparently there's one on Sawtelle near Olympic in West L.A. (just down the street from Taka Hair Salon in mini Tokyo)

FuRaiBo
1741 W. Redondo Beach Blvd
Gardena, CA 90247
(310) 329-9441

No comments: