Thursday, August 23, 2007

Michael Buble at the Greek Theater

When I moved here almost a year ago, I knew that if I was going to pay for overpriced concert tickets to see someone sing, it would be for Michael Buble. I had no idea it would only take a year for that to happen.

Last night I saw Michael Buble at the Greek Theater. He was promoting his new CD, Call Me Irresponsible (it's really good, go out and buy a copy!).

Wow. Talk about a showman. He's funny, unpretentious, and slightly profane. He knows all his band members by name (first and last - I don't know why I found that impressive), and it's obvious that they get along. He doesn't lip sync.

If you've never been to the Greek Theater, it's awesome. It's a 5,700 seat outdoor amphitheater in Griffith Park (one of the largest urban parks in the United States). It's modeled after a Greek temple, hence the name. I think I would prefer seeing concerts there than in an enclosed theater space. Something to do with both acoustics and stuffiness.

The concert itself was very well produced - there was a continuous flow from beginning to end, and even when Buble introduced his bandmates or talked to the audience, it seemed naturally placed and appropriate. He opened with "I'm Your Man" and closed with "A Song For You". During the last lines of "A Song For You", he pulled the microphone away and just let his voice carry. While I bought good tickets, they weren't great tickets, and I could hear his voice just fine from where I was sitting (near the front of section C, if you want to get technical). Talk about a set of lungs combined with great acoustics.

I definitely didn't feel that I wasted my money on this show. It was an incredible experience and one that cemeted my love for living in Los Angeles. I honestly can't imagine living somewhere else and feeling as comfortable or as at home as I do here (even though I struggle with feeling at home anywhere).

2 comments:

Sideon said...

I'm completely green, from head to hobbity-toes, with jealousy.

Diane Lowe said...

:)

Oh let me tell you, it was a drool-worthy experience.