Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Movie Review - The Painted Veil

I had the pleasure of watching this film over the weekend. I've read it's quite close to the book (I'd actually like to read the book now). I thought it was fabulous.

The fairly simple story set against the exotic backdrop of mainland China was breathtaking. It would have been amazing to watch this film on the big screen.

I thought the acting was fine and the casting appropriate. On IMDB's message boards several people have batted around the "Ralph Fiennes should have played Walter and Clive Owen should have played Charlie" ball a bit, and I have to disagree. While I like both Ralph Fiennes and Clive Owen, and I think they would do well in those particular parts, I think it would have made the film more dark than it needed to be. With different casting it would not have been the entertaining character study that it is. I thought Edward Norton nailed the bookish, nerdy British gentleman that is the core of Walter's character, and that Liev Schreiber was perfect as the sort of playboy adulterer the character is supposed to be.

It was very enjoyable to watch the estranged couple fall in love with each other.

Of course, one of them has to die in the end. You think real life has happy endings?

No comments: