Saturday, October 13, 2007

Knott's Scary Farm 2007!


I went to Knott's Scary Farm last night.

I had, for want of a better, more intense, more descriptive phrase, a blast. Everyone in our party of six got spooked at least twice.

Some friends from my happy hour group got together and we carpooled down to Buena Park. For dinner we went to the pre-scare dinner special buffet - Mrs. Knott's fried chicken, mashed potatoes, assorted salads, dinner rolls (with boysenberry jam!) and pie. I, of course, had to have a slice of the boysenberry pie. The fried chicken was most delicious.

Entering the park, the first maze we went to was the Beowulf-themed maze. It's very easy to startle me, so everyone wanted me on point for most of the evening. The Beowulf maze was one of my favorites of the night. The photo above was taken when I exited the maze, and was so delighted I started jumping up and down waiting for my friends. The ghoul came up to me and asked me why I was jumping up and down. "Because I'm happy!" I replied. "Happy? I'm happy and I'm not jumping up and down."

For some reason when I get spooked, my natural reaction is to scream, then laugh hysterically. Maybe that means I can laugh at myself?

We went to the hanging show at 9:30. This was pretty much a plotless 15 minute gore-filled satire of pop culture, ending with a public "hanging". They fit in so many things, from Alec Baldwin's parenting skills to David & Posh Spice to Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, and Paris Hilton. The movie 300 to American Idol. It was a brilliantly scripted performance.

I got really scared at the Lore of the Vampire maze - there was a guy sitting in a chair. I *knew* his whole purpose of being there was to scare people. And he succeeded in scaring me anyway! Oh, it was good times.

There were a couple other good mazes - the psychedelic Feary Tales in 3D was, to my imagination, what nightmares on acid would be like. The Clown College maze and the Asylum Maze were really good too, and my friends like the Red Beard's Revenge maze. We weren't as impressed with The Grudge 2 Maze, but mostly because the "scare quality" wasn't consisted throughout. It started out really creepy and then became less so by the end of the maze.

Throughout the park there are goon and ghouls wandering around for the sole purpose of catching you off-guard and scaring you. It's great fun watching one of them (or a pair!) set up a scare.

We ended up leaving around midnight - by then the park was completely packed and we opted to avoid the traffic problems of leaving later (it was raining a bit and traffic would have been horrid around 2:00 AM). We were pretty much scared out by then too. I didn't know there was an upper threshold to how much scaring you could handle in a night.

2 comments:

don said...

Great picture!

Diane Lowe said...

Thanks Don! :)