Wednesday, October 10, 2007

This Isn't No White Wedding!

I have no words to describe my disgust in reaction to this essay.

Talk about ****ing people up for life.

One way you could look at it is that, for some, necessary "beauty" is necessary pain. And risk of death. The other way you could look at it is some seriously screwed up people got together one day a long while ago and decided this would be something cool to do, and people since then have continued the tradition. And then a female anthropologist with a video camera comes along and supports all of that.

Someone is probably going to give me hell for this. That's OK. I think as people we should respect other cultures, but not at the expense of someone's health. Not at the expense of a person's future ability to live a life without pain.

You circumcise a male and after a while there's no pain. Everything still works. In some cases (I personally know of one) it's actually better for a guy to get circumcised. You circumcise a female and you pretty much diminish her ability to enjoy sex. It hurts her to urinate, to menstruate. You've psychologically scarred her. In some cases the girl dies. Someone explain to me how that could be "right", in any culture!

The other day at the salon the waxer told me that I should have "10,000 kids" because I wasn't writhing in pain on her table. I should have said, "girl, this ain't nothin' compared to female circumcision!"

The evil people do to each other makes me sick.

1 comment:

don said...

I recently read something about this in Egypt where you might not expect it. Odly enough old women were making profit off of the procedure and it was how they made a living and it was one of the main reasons that it continued. I've always thought that men were the only culprit.

I was disturbed by a piece were women cyclist in Iran were beaten because they were wearing bike shorts.

It's a strange world we live in.