Monday, September 19, 2005

Adventures In Custom Clothing

So after years of being frustrated by what jeans I could find (apparently, athletic women don't wear jeans or they are like me and live with ill-fitting jeans), I decided to see what custom-made jeans were all about. The site I tried (as if you couldn't tell by the pocket logo) is http://custom.tommy.com. You answer a handful of questions regarding the type of jean you would like (these are low rise, kitchen-sink finish, no back label, signature pocket design, straight cut, button fly, copper oxide buttons/rivets, green button-hole thread) and some questions about your body (height, weight, bra size, what your tummy, thighs and seat look like, etc.) and give them money.
About a month later (and probably dozens of Mexican sweat-shop hours), UPS drops your new jeans off at your doorstep.
Below are the jeans that I had custom made for me. They are the most comfy jeans I've tried on to date, and fit better than any other jeans I've tried. There's a little poochiness in the front, even though I told them my stomach was flat (maybe it's because I have big thighs). But I think I can live with it. Is the expense worth it? I'm not sure yet. We'll see how well they stand the test of time. If I end up wearing these more than my Levi 501s, then yes. Will I ever get another pair of custom made jeans? If well-fitting denim has the power to move mountains (and men's hearts) and raise grades, then definitely.

No comments: