Monday, September 12, 2005

My Favourite Painting

When I was visiting Europe, I got the great opportunity to go to the Louvre in Paris. Now, while I will admit to having a bad experience there, I did see some great stuff. One of these days I'll go to Europe again and have a better experience at the Louvre, maybe take a guided tour (that might help with the utter confusion of wandering a former palace) or learn to read maps better. Anyway, I did get to see the "Mona Lisa", which I wasn't too impressed with, and that famous painting of the French Revolution where a bare-breasted woman is being. . .revolutionary. But this particular painting, Delaroche's "La Jeune Martyr", was my favourite. I couldn't find a better image, but there is another fellow down by the riverbank. Sadly, most of the prints you find are just the closeup of the martyr.
I remember trying to navigate out of the painting section of the museum (because I wanted to see the Egyptian art, damnit!), and this stopped me in my tracks. I almost wish I got a full-sized reproduction of it at the gift shop, because it's so beautiful. Years later, the only thing great I can say about my visit to the Louvre is that I got to see this piece of art there, in the flesh. I'm in no way an art critic, and I prefer photography to paint, but this piece is incredible.

No comments: