Monday, September 05, 2005

Resident Evil. . . 4!

I don't play a lot of video games, mainly because they cost more money than I'm willing to dish out, but also because I think I can find more productive, mentally stimulating things to do. However, this doesn't stop me from finding the occasional gem.

My new favorite game is Resident Evil 4. It's been out for a while, and I've only started playing it, but it's awesome.

I think the main reason why I want to get through the game is that I'm completely engrossed in the cinematics. Wow. And I haven't found a demo of the game that includes the cinematics, so I'm forced to play the game through. Oh well. This is why I dig RPGs most of the time; because so much is poured into the story, you want to know what happens along the way (since you usually know or can guess the ending).

Resident Evil 4 is a lot of fun, if challenging. It's been a long time since I've devoted myself to completing a game. I think the last time was about two years ago when I wanted to complete Kingdom Hearts, and I never actually finished it. I got up to the final boss, but he had at least one too many forms and I didn't have enough drive or motivation to do the things I needed to do to go back and finish the game.

One quest-type game I did finish was Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. (I also finished LOTR: Two Towers, but I don't really count that because it's a short game)

Anyway, I'm quite fond of the main character in Resident Evil 4: Leon Kennedy. I think I love characters more than the game itself. Tall, pasty-complected, secret agent man. That, and he protects women. What's not to love? (Other than he can be a bit stupid at times, but I'm thinking that's mostly pilot error)

I've recently developed an affinity for male characters that protect women, regardless of how "helpless" the women may or may not be. Take the three main male characters of Sin City, for example. They all protect women. Sure, they might not be the most ethical people around, but at least they've developed a healthy respect for women along the way.

No comments: