Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Keys!

There I am, jamming out to Genesis' "Invisible Touch" while getting ready for class this morning. Cute outfit, check. Books, check. Keys, check. Will grab them before leaving. Vitamins, check. Phone, check.

"She seems to have an invisible touch! Yeah!
She reaches in, and grabs right hold of your heart
She seems to have an invisible touch! Yeah!
It takes control, and slowly tears you apart"

Grab the bag, walk out the door, close the door, and oh. No keys. Well shit.

Call the roommate. Turns out she forgot her keys too! No matter, will figure it out at lunch.

Good thing I left early enough to make it to class on time. Not that it mattered; I don't think you could butcher Shakespeare any more than my professor has.

On a completely different subject, I've been wondering if I'm not as inconspicuous as I'd like to be. Most new people I meet (usually at the Vu or other non-campus hangout) generally say, "Yeah, I've seen you around campus," as a first remark. While I'm flattered that people notice me (and yet don't talk to me) on campus, I know for a fact that I don't generally recognize people on campus unless I know them from a class or something. (And even then, the chances are slim I'd recognize anybody)
The other day I was studying in the Digger Den, and some fellow comes up to me and starts a conversation on the military, all because he had seen me speaking to a Navy Lt. at the Career Fair. There were a ton of people at that Career Fair, and I only spoke to that Naval officer for a few minutes!
Do I look so different from other people that I just don't blend in? I've never felt completely integrated no matter what environment I've been in (which, I might add, would give me a unique, objective eye as a journalist), but am I so odd that I can't even blend in on my own campus? One of the few places I feel at home?

By the way, if you notice me on campus, say hello. I promise I'll smile and say hello back.

No comments: