Friday, January 20, 2006

Books! And Life Pondering

For various reasons, I was having a difficult time at the Montana Tech bookstore when I went to buy my books and I had to purchase my microprocessors kit and history text online this semester. If I had more time, (and known about the problem beforehand) I would have ordered all my texts online.

Anyway, I decided to treat myself to a couple writing tomes to make up for the great headache of dealing with semester book buying. I thought On Writing Well would accompany my Harbrace Handbook wonderfully as a writing reference. And since my writing professor from last semester gave his Writing 2 students sound advice in telling us to write everyday, I bought a couple books on journaling: The New Diary: How to Use a Journal for Self-Guidance and Expanded Creativity and At a Journal Workshop: Writing to Access the Power of the Unconscious and Evoke Creative Ability. (Like I'll have time to journal and get something out of it when semester gets underway)

It would be really nice to turn this writing-and-projecting-opinions hobby of mine into something I can make some money from. You know, so I can pay the bills and buy a toy or vacation every now and then. I've become disillusioned with the newspapering idea, since one of the most annoying people I've ever met apparently has written for every major regional newspaper in Southwestern Montana. Granted, I've never actually read any of the stuff he's written, but if his accent is grating in real life, I definitely don't want to be hearing it in my head. (For those who want to know, Frank McCourt has the most lovely writing style I've read in a long time; you can practically hear a smooth Irish brogue when you read his books)

As a kid (I'm probably still a kid to most people), I remember the whole life thing being so very simple: go to school, get a job, get married, buy the house with the white picket fence and have 2.1 kids and a dog. Now that I'm almost done with the school part, and have a solid relationship with a marriage-material fellow, everything seems much more complicated.

How did it get this way? I have no clue. My first two career choices have turned out to be disappointing adventures (although I wouldn't trade those adventures for anything), and as of yet I haven't dreamed up the next phase of my life. I get done with college in less than 5 months; what do I do after that? The more pressure I put on myself to figure this out, the more stressed out I get. And while the housewife-and-mom idea is tempting, I'd like to think I can contribute a little more to society before I have kids, not to mention the fact I need the ring and marriage license too.

Ahh. To be young again. When all you needed to worry about was when recess and snacktime were.

No comments: