Tuesday, January 24, 2006

What I Learned Today

So. . . this education thing, we're supposed to get something out of it, right? Right?

Turns out I successfully learned my share of smarts today.

In Microprocessors. . .
I learned that my prof is probably one of the best Electronics professors I've had the pleasure to learn from. He's direct and explains concepts clearly, shows examples (and points them out to you when he does), and makes eye contact.

In Interpersonal Communication. . .
I learned why my friend wouldn't explain her opinion to me in an argument we had. (The whole thought of me getting into an argument to begin with is so. . . not me. I had no idea the argument was going to happen.) This is the gem: If someone refuses to explain their opinion or their side of an argument, it's probably because they don't sincerely know why they have that particular opinion or have been given said opinion and don't want to lose face by saying, "I don't know why I think that."
Turns out you can learn something from someone as completely nutty as my communications prof.

In Racquetball. . .
I learned how to grip my racquet with a HANDSHAKE GRIP, and how to hit the ball with a FOREHAND STROKE. I also learned about the front, back and side walls, but not with as much force and repetition. Coach Green lectures like a former Marine D.I. I kept wanting to sound off, "Yes Coach! No Coach! Aye Coach! Right Away Coach!" I guess you never get out of the habit.
I also learned that girls/women/females in general are fairly meek and timid when it comes to actually putting into practice what they've learned. Maybe they are all at Tech to get their "Mrs." degree and didn't take Racquetball to learn or play Racquetball. (Gee, what a concept!) It's only mildly frustrating when a girl practically refuses to hit the ball (Guys don't seem to have this problem). It's one thing in a mandatory high school physical education class when the girls don't really want to be there because "girls don't play sports" or whatever misogynistic fluff they've been fed for 18 years. But it's entirely different when the course is completely elective and everyone who takes the class is in it because they sincerely want to get something out of it which happens to not be a fly on the court wall.

And surprisingly enough, my brain is not full.

No comments: