Friday, November 02, 2007

Blackout

I find it slightly embarrassing that I actually *like* the new Britney Spears' CD. Especially against my better judgement, and in light of articles like this:

What exactly is Britney Spears trying to tell us?


I don't really think she is trying to send out a message or tell us much of anything. I think she's a product of Jive Records. She's a figurehead, a symbol, and nothing more (I think it's this very reason she's been having so many in-the-spotlight personal problems). I do believe she had some vocal talent, in her pre-Mickey Mouse Club days, but her voice no longer has the range or the strength of her earlier days.

That's why the only thing she can do is exploit herself even more. Can you imagine the backlash if she had actually done something musically substantial? I don't think the public would ever expect that of her.

The CD will be successful because overproduced pop, as much as we hate to admit it, is a staple of clubs and radio.

No comments: