Thursday, November 01, 2007

Articles Like This Make Me So Angry

The Feminine Critique

Maybe it's just the environment I work in, but I always get the feeling that women are as competant, if not more so, than men. There are still a majority of men in the office, though. The idea that the company values the amount and quality of work a worker can output, regardless of gender.

It's so frustrating to me, that there's this perception that men and women can't deliver the same amount/quality of work, that men and women aren't level in that way. It also irritates me that there's this idea that men and women aren't equal in leadership abilities.

I don't have a solution for what I perceive as a huge problem. I just believe that women should disregard these stereotypes and go for what they want. If they want a leadership position in the company, they should do things that would set them up for that, regardless of the "how you should dress" and "how you should act" models.

I also think that the "first impression" studies aren't quite that accurate. If a woman can dress "provocatively" in the workplace and also do a good job with what she does, then who is to dictate how she dresses? I definitely think it's possible to be a successful career woman and not be tied to a way of presenting oneself.

It's maddening.

2 comments:

The Wordpecker said...

I refer to it as "stupid girl" syndrome. They (the men) decide that girls are stupid in grade 1 or 2 and then look for evidence that perpetuates that thinking.

Boys are so dumb .... :)

Diane Lowe said...

A huge problem that contributes is that women help perpetuate the "stupid girl" syndrome.

Boys are so dumb!