Monday, November 26, 2007

Movie Review - Hitman

I went to see Hitman this weekend, in spite of awful reviews. As a standard action film, it's good. As a videogame adaptation, it's incredible. (Granted, I've never played Hitman, but I have seen my friend Dan play bits of it.)

They incorporated a couple aspects from the games that I liked, most notably Agent 47's use of costumes to slip past guards.

Action scenes were well-directly, particularly the train fight scene. You can actually *see* what people are doing in a fight!

The humor is cynically dry, and at times parodies James Bond in cheesiness.

Timothy Olyphant plays his lines, which can be cheesy at best, splendidly.

I also really liked that they kept Agent 47 true to his nature, and that the potential love-interest ended up being a friend and potential rasion d'etre at the end of the film. It's really nice to see a film not succumb to infatuation these days.

They screened a trailer for The Other Boleyn Girl before the movie started. While I'm not a fan of chick-lit historical dramas, I'm completely captivated by Natalie Portman's performance in the trailer. She is such a dynamic actress and it's breath-taking to watch her act. I'm interested in seeing how sympathetic the film ends up being to Anne. Not to mention I find Eric Bana more-than-acceptable eye candy. :)

1 comment:

Sideon said...

Agreed on both comments regarding Natalie Portman and Eric Bana.

Yowza :)