Saturday, November 24, 2007

Cold Remedies

I caught a cold this weekend. It's not bad, but it makes me think this is why I've been tired the past few weeks.

I have a few tricks I use when I get a cold, they usually at least make me feel better. I don't know if they make the cold go away sooner though.

Cold-Eeze. This stuff has been proven to shorten colds, when you start taking the lozenges at the first sign of a cold. I think I might have caught it soon enough this time, I just don't get sick often enough to know if I'm just feeling under the weather today, or if I should dig out the cold fighting arsenal.

Sinus Irrigation. Seriously. It's the weirdest, grossest thing most Americans can fathom, but it does make you feel better. Not to mention clearing out virus particles that your body now doesn't have to. Plus, breathing easy when you have a cold just feels good. I usually gargle Listerine afterwards as well.

Make a potion. Mine contains freshly squeezed lemon juice, honey, cinnamon, and candied ginger steeped in hot water. My mom steeps cilantro in hot water and honey. Then drink copious amounts.

Eat. Eat plenty of good food and make sure you're not ever hungry. And put down that chocolate chunk brownie! I said *good* food! Anything you're in the mood for. Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup, egg drop soup, chicken noodle soup, pasta, steak, mashed potatoes. . . anything to keep the nutrition-heavy calories coming.

I'm up for trying anything new that sounds like it might work, as well. Comment your thoughts away!

2 comments:

The Wordpecker said...

Advil Cold & Sinus. It's what gets me through the day. I think it's the secret cure for the common cold, but they're not allowed to tell anyone. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Diane Lowe said...

Ahh, Advil Cold & Sinus *would* make a cold feel better!

Thanks!