Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Bleeding Roses

There's this painting that Salvador Dali did in 1930, called "The Bleeding Roses". (Spoiler alert - the painting involves a full-frontal of a woman. Don't say I didn't warn you.) I saw it at the exhibit I went to last weekend. It took my breath away. Who ever knew that a little oil paint could produce the sense of depth this painting has? The image does not do the original justice.

I think it's magnificent.

What this piece of art says to me may not be what it says to anyone else. It may not be the message that Dali intended to send with his painting.

"The Bleeding Roses", to me, is a painting of what it means to be a woman. That human life is intrinsically tied to a woman's ability to menstruate. And that fact is beautiful.

4 comments:

don said...

It's cool that you got to see some real work. I'm envious.

I saw on a show about the moom that many women's cycles were tied to the moon?

Diane Lowe said...

I did get to see some real work. It's incredible.

I think there's a whole debate on women's cycles and the moon. Some people think they're linked, other people think it's just a coincedence.

faustwriter said...

I just saw this painting today in an exhibit at MOMA in New York and even though I've seen a lot of Dali in the past, I had never seen this. Stunning work as you say. Really amazingly sensual and interesting in color and content.

Diane Lowe said...

Hello Troy!

Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed viewing the painting! I think it's incredible!