Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Fuel Efficiency

I track the fuel efficiency of my new car online at this website. Partly because I'm incredibly curious as to how efficient my car is with gas, and partly because I'm slightly anal retentive.

I'm doing slightly better than the EPA's MPG estimate, by 2-4 MPG. This makes me happy.

I don't think I'll be able to get 40 miles a gallon in my little car, even though I'd like to think I'm a fairly conservative driver. I just don't think that's possible to do in the city.

Even so, I hope it continues to do better than the EPA estimate, and I hope that I'll be able to consistently get at least 5 MPG better than the estimate some day.

I absolutely love my little car. The reason I haven't gushed on it here is for privacy reasons. (But, for some reason, it's absolutely OK to bare my soul, the garbage in my life? I sense a discrepancy here.) I guess I just don't want any stalkers/crazy people tracking me down. I get enough of those in real life already without adding people from the internet.

4 comments:

don said...

Cool website. My car is doing at least 3-5 better than the website says if not more. I think they put them on the low side.

Diane Lowe said...

I'm not sure if the EPA puts the estimates on the low side or not; I know they re-estimated all of their estimates this year though.

Of course, you don't seem like a crazy driver to me either. I think the EPA is geared towards the "average" American driver, who ends up being, quite probably, the "average" American.

Diane Lowe said...

I went 80 miles on an 1/8 a tank of gas the other night!

Woo Hoo! I can't wait to see what that does for my overall fuel efficiency!

Sideon said...

I'm in the market for a new car. I want at LEAST 35 mpg. I looked at the mini-Coopers, but I'm not set on supporting a British car. I don't want a Prius because everyone has one.

I wish the US automakers had real options.