Saturday, November 03, 2007

Table For One

I always feel a little like a freak when I go to a restaurant by myself.

Sometimes the wait staff is extra nice/attentive to me, other times I feel like they resent me. I always feel like they're trying to rush me though. I do try to tip well though, at least 20%.

It's frustrating. I can't really resent the wait staff, though. A table serving one person isn't going to generate the kind of income a table serving two or more will.

What's even more sad is that I've been solicited for dates, from men who truly seem like attractive, nice guys (with stable jobs). So it's not like I have to eat alone. They want to take me to that Thai place up in Hollywood that shows movies while you eat, to the Huntington (which I just can't go to just yet), etc. And yet I freeze when they ask me out. "Uhhh, can't we just commit to coffee, and go from there?" (And even coffee dates seem like a huge commitment to me) Maybe my body/mind is trying to tell me I'm not ready to be hitting the meet market just yet. Even though I so desperately want to get dressed up and go out dancing. I'm too timid to go out dancing alone. I think that's just not safe for me to do. Even though I know a place in Hermosa that would be fairly safe for me to go to. Strength in Numbers, or rather, Strength in Friends. There's nothing quite like a male friend you can dance with that's as successful a deterrent to potential suitors.

And another thing. If you have my number and it happens to come up as "restricted" when you call, please have the gall to leave a message. Otherwise I default to "oh, it must be So-and-So who called me once and the number came up restricted" and then I make an embarrassing call to So-and-So.

Nevermind. Scratch that. I'll just not bother with calls from restricted numbers unless the caller leaves a message. So just don't call me three times in an hour and not leave a message if your number comes up as "restricted" on my phone. That just makes me worry about my friend So-and-So. So-and-So thinks I have stalkers that call me, but I'm very choosy with who has my number.

4 comments:

don said...

That's the nice thing about truck stops. I never feel out of place eating alone.

They always have chicken fried steak, and the coffee is always the same.

Diane Lowe said...

Yes, but can you really see me fitting in at a truck stop? ;)

I like chicken fried steak sometimes, even though it's so incredibly heavy. And I've had really good coffee at those diners too.

The Wordpecker said...

Funny, I feel so much lonelier when I'm with people than I do when I am alone. I think I could watch a movie alone, but I feel awfully strange eating alone in a restaurant. I totally agree with you.

Diane Lowe said...

Sometimes I feel lonelier in a crowd, but sometimes I like being with other people and I don't feel quite so lonely.

I think men could perhaps get away with eating alone at a restaurant, but it feels strange to me being a woman eating alone in a restaurant.