Friday, November 18, 2005

British Literature Final Woes

There's this concept about the whole college student-teacher relationship that seems to be overlooked in my British Literature course. The whole thing where the student is paying for the professor to provide some instruction and insight on the course material.

I don't have a personal problem with my professor. I've chatted with her outside of class, and she seems like a nice enough gal.

I have a professional problem with her. She's done nothing to further my knowledge of British Literature and constantly expounds on her lack of knowledge of the course (granted, she's a part time writing prof taking over because the prof who usually teaches the course is on sabbatical).

This is what she dreams up for the final:

  • We, individually, have to dream up 10 essay questions related to what we've read and some topic or element of literature that comes up in Brit. Lit.
  • Underline the thesis of our answers to our questions
  • Put in quotes the works we're using in our answers
  • Circle where we've noted the story's setting
  • Bracket supporting details
  • Single space the document (I've NEVER come across a professor -especially writing professor- who prefers single spaced documents. This woman is out of her gourd.)
  • Let's not forget she also mentioned that she's not going to answer any questions during the last three days of class. W.T.F.?!?!? NOT answer questions???? I've never known a prof. to not answer questions, even right before an exam.

Someone please tell me how this will be a fair, accurate, objective evaluation of what I know about British Literature. Let's not forget the American taxpayer is helping me pay for this insanity.

I should go do some more Christmas shopping. Retail therapy can be a bitch, though. Just shoot me now and put me out of my misery.

No comments: