Monday, June 18, 2007

Bento Lunch - Pasta Salad, Dumplings and Eggs

I've been trying to make a recommitment to bringing lunch as opposed to buying lunch; you usually can't get lunch for less than $10 and it's a huge financial drain.

Today I packed in my Mr. Bento:
cashews and a lychee gel cup in the top container
fried dumplings and a soy sauce mini-bottle in the second container
chilled antipasto pasta salad in the rice container
sliced "ludan" (soy sauce eggs) in the soup container (I was testing out my new crock pot!)

All of this is obviously way too much for me to eat in one sitting. I think I'm going to stop by Marukai (a Japanese household item and grocery store) on the way home and see if I can find a smaller bento box. I have a hard time justifying spending $18 (plus $15 shipping) on a Hello Kitty one sent straight from Japan.

2 comments:

don said...

Lunch sounds really good. I try and bring lunch most of the time, but now and then I go to Sourdough. It does add up if you go out all the time. Today I'm having a pita with hummus, sprouts, cucumbers and yogurt sauce. I'll wolf that down and then spend my lunch on the bike along the river.

Diane Lowe said...

I'm jealous! I've become a huge fan of Middle Eastern food since moving to L.A. Especially tabouli, but anything that can be served with pita is delicious. (Most especially if it's dressed in yogurt sauce!)

I ended up not eating all of this lunch; Mr. Bento can pack a LOT of food.

My new boss (who is also Taiwanese) really liked my soy sauce eggs. She said they tasted "very authentic". (BTW, I was checking my recipe again, and turns out you CAN just use soy sauce and a little bit of sugar. It just depends on how complex you want them to taste.)