Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Obsolescence of the Compact Disc

Every once in a while, there will be a news blurb on declining CD sales, and the rise of internet downloads.

Is the CD Becoming Obsolete?
Compact Disc's Outlook Worsens

I really believe a huge factor in the decline of CD sales is the huge cost of buying a CD. I prefer CDs to a file on my computer, but rarely will I shell out $20 for a CD. That's ridiculous!

I hypothesize that one could cut out the fat from music labels, reduce the price of CDs to $5-$10 (OK, I'd be willing to pay $15 for a CD, but only if it's from Michael Buble!), and you will see CD sales soar once more. Most of the cost of a CD is in marketing and middlemen (I'm guessing; I'm no business or economics major). If the music is good, word of mouth alone will sell it.

It's OK if you think I'm wrong. I don't mind. :)

1 comment:

Sideon said...

$15.00 for Bublé is a reasonable price - he's exquisite, and the music sounds good, too.

:) Be well.