Monday, June 25, 2007

Gaming Weekend

I played a lot of games this weekend. Wow.

Friday night was a standard Dungeons and Dragons night.
Saturday night my honey and I went to his parents' home for dinner and a couple games of 500. I didn't know how to play, so I got the 15-minute, 3-teacher crash course.
Sunday we went to a friend's apartment to play games. I learned Carcassonne, Apples to Apples, and Munchkin.

I felt that "Carcassonne" was too dependent on luck, and that it would be much easier to roll a die to determine the winner of any one game. I did, however, like laying down the tiles. The tiles are aesthetically pleasing and it's nice to find places to put them.

"Apples to Apples" was my favorite game of the night, if only because it's one of those "everyone feels good" games. It's also interesting (and amusing!) to see what other people come up with in response to the adjective card.

"Munchkin" was also fun, but I was getting tired by that point so I'm not sure if I really enjoyed the game or not. I can at least see why other people think it's fun.

I played Settlers of Catan last weekend, which I really enjoyed. There's just enough randomness to the game to make it different every time you play it, and enough strategy involved that you do need to have a strategy to play the game effectively. I think I'll actually end up buying this game eventually.

3 comments:

don said...

The only game I like to play is cribbage.

Diane Lowe said...

I don't know how to play cribbage. :(

don said...

You would be good at crib as I know you are good numbers and counting. After you learn the rules and how to play, it takes a while to learn what Not to do. Of course you win by not making mistakes.

My father and grandfather played crib all the time. They played so fast that they wouldn't voice out the count and just take the points as they both knew what was going on. They would often have a different conversation while they played.

I played it when I was young but I only learned what not to do by playing it against the computer over and over. I got so I could win more than I loose against the computer. There is still the luck of the draw in the cards.