Thursday, June 07, 2007

Just Say No

The United Nations wants to abolish the use of the Traditional Chinese writing system.

Let me back the Firefly-class starship up just a little.

Back in the day, there was only the Traditional Chinese writing system. During the 20th Century (especially during the Cultural Revolution) the writing system was 'simplified' (or 'modernized', depending on how you look at it) to increase literacy. Today, traditional characters are used in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, and ex-pat communities whose settling residents left China before the language reform.

For the record, I'm learning the Simplified Chinese writing system, although most Chinese speakers (especially those who travel internationally) end up learning both. I don't really feel there is much of a difference between the two - there are many characters (even difficult ones) that are the same in both writing systems. Because I want to travel more in Taiwan than in China, I probably should learn the Traditional system as well (my Chinese teacher has given us the choice), but I feel that, since the Simplified writing system is more widespread that it will help me more than the Traditional writing system right now.

Besides, if my mother can read my notes to her, that's all that really matters to me.

Go here to Just Say No.

No comments: