Monday, June 11, 2007

A Visit to the Museum

My sweetheart took me to the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena yesterday. It's an interesting collection of works, most notably of Van Gogh, Picasso and Degas works. Rodin graces the entrance. There's also a massive collection of Asian (mostly Indian) art. There's the "correct" amount of art there, meaning you can see the entire museum in a day but there's so much good stuff to see that it's possible to return several times and get the feeling of seeing something fresh and new.

I never took an art history class or anything but I really like looking at art. I wasn't particularly good at art class when I was in school, although I enjoyed the ceramics class I took. I particularly like still lifes (which apparently include dead animals - I never knew!), but there are also portraits and landscapes that I enjoyed viewing.

Something that I really love about most art (especially Greek/Roman art) is the value of a normal/healthy woman. There's not one anorexic among them.

Admission is $8, although if you are a student with an ID card you can get in for free. Parking in their lot is free as well.

Some of my favorite pieces:
Still Life with Cherries, Strawberries and Gooseberries
Saint Joseph and the Infant Christ
View of the Santa Maria della Salute with the Dogana di Mare
An Arrangement of Flowers
Rape of Proserpina (Rape of the Sabine Woman)
Still Life with Rummer

and my favorite painting:
The Liberation of St. Peter

I especially recommend checking out the Asian art - there's "amorous" lovers to be found! *wink wink nudge nudge*

1 comment:

don said...

Degas inspired me when I was younger. I've never seen one IRL however.