Thursday, June 07, 2007

I Must Be Living In A Cave

I've been looking for an appropriate Father's Day gift and I stumbled across it today. Turns out they released the Space: Above and Beyond DVD set a while back, and I just found out about it. I remember watching this show with my dad when it first aired, and being really sad when it was cancelled. (Thanks FOX!) I also remember when they re-aired it on the Sci-Fi Channel and my dad and I had a system down where we would tape the episodes to cut out the commercials (this was before TiVo).

One of the many great things about the series was the memorable music composed by the late Shirley Walker. I just found out today that she passed away last November, and that the Academy failed to recognize her during their "In Memoriam" segment of the Academy Awards this year. And I thought Hollywood was big on being liberal and recognizing minorities/rarities in industry.

After watching and enjoying the Firefly series (recently for the first time - I was away in college when it first aired), I think it's sad how many great shows get cancelled before their time, while some shows (Enterprise, anyone?) drag on way past their expiration date.

Did I mention I ended up buying two copies of that DVD set? One for Dad, and one for me. It'll be nice to rewatch all those episodes again.

No comments: