Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Bento Lunch - Picnic Time!

I lost the "valve packing" on the soup container in the dishwasher last night. Great. Hopefully I can just disassemble the food trap and it will be there and not down the drain in Borneo or someplace like that. This is what I get for thinking I could wash the rubber gasket and "valve packing" in the dishwasher.

I've heard the company who makes Mr. Bento, Zojirushi, has great customer service and that you can get a whole set of bowls for $15 + $3 shipping if you want. I've been thinking about getting an extra set anyway, since it doesn't make much sense for me to do a load of dishes every night. I don't cook THAT much. Hopefully they'll be able to send a gasket set as well.

Here's what's in Mr. Bento today (I really should start taking photos, but I'm lazy and also feel I'm not making the food look pretty enough for the camera - also due to laziness!):
Top container: Vanilla & Almond Granola from Sprouts' bulk section
2nd container: Leftover "Beanies & Weenies" from last night
Rice container: Potato salad (Homemade!)
Soup container: Cottage cheese and sliced strawberries for breakfast

The theory was that I could bring both breakfast and lunch to work, since Mr. Bento can pack a lot of food. The granola was supposed to be eaten with the cottage cheese, but I didn't care for the mix in textures. My neighbor really raved about the granola at Sprouts (they have something like 8 varieties), so I wanted to try it out. It's pretty good, even if I think it's a tad too sweet.

If you have a Mr. Bento and want to get replacement bowls for it, here's Zojirushi's contact information:
800-733-6270 (ask for customer service)
310-769-1900 (local number)
support@zojirushi.com

4 comments:

don said...

I like the combination of foods that you put together. You always have a nice variety.

You wouldn't believe how I package my food when I take it to work on my bike. :) Mr. Bento is probably not what I would consider bicycle friendly. My food needs to be as light as possible and take up as little space as possible. Usually that is a plastic bag, paper bag, or foil. Sometimes a container if I have a salad or something like that.

Diane Lowe said...

Thanks Don! I think I'm eating a lot healthier now than I was when I was eating out all the time; at least, I'm eating more vegetables!

Bentos are supposed to be packed tightly, the underlying theory is that 1 ml = 1 calorie, so you have a rough idea of how much food you're consuming. Mr. Bento comes with a pretty handy case with a strap on it; I'm sure if you packed well you wouldn't have a problem with Mr. Bento on your bike. (It is kind of heavy though)

How do you keep a sandwich from getting smushed?

I saw a few people biking to work this morning and thought of you.

don said...

I put the sandwich in on the top of my backpack and the last thing I pack. That's why pitas and wraps work so well. I wrap them in a paper towel and then plastic and the paper towel serves as my napkin.

That's cool about measuring the calories like that.

Thanks for thinking of me :) I jumped a deer on the bike path this morning on my way to work, and got a photo of it. I'll post that when I get a chance.

Diane Lowe said...

Ahh! You have me craving pita now!

Here's a link to a Lunch in a Box post regarding the calorie capacity concept.

The box I brought this morning is a 500 ml, which is about right for a light breakfast (in my opinion, anyway). I also bought a matching side container that I could pack a side dish or dessert in if I wanted, but I didn't bring it with me today.