Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I Hate My Car

The only thing reliable on it is that something is always broken.

I took it to Jiffy Lube today to get an oil change, and a power steering fluid hose broke. Yay!

The guys at Jiffy Lube said I could take it to Midas or Pep Boys and they could fix it for me. Nope! I went to both places and neither were willing to help me. It's a 15 minute job! Easy money!

Guess they didn't want mine. Guess they didn't want any of my business or good word-of-mouth either.

Apparently the Jeep dealership doesn't really want to help me out either. They couldn't give me a quote over the phone, because they "didn't know what was wrong" with it, even though I told them point-blank exactly what's wrong with it.

I hate it when people treat me like I don't know anything about cars.

3 comments:

don said...

I'd do it for you if I were there. It's easy. You could run it past your guy. Just remove the old one and install a new one and replace the fluid. If he isn't up to it, I'm pretty sure you could to it. Go to Sears and buy yourself a decent set of tools.

Diane Lowe said...

Aw, thanks Don!

I do have good tools (Craftsman), and I know that it's a relatively simple job.

I guess my point was that people who were already greased up and knew what they were doing (more than I do) wouldn't do a relatively simple job for me when I was willing to pay them to do it.

I don't think my sweetheart works on cars. He prefers sports and hiking up at Yosemite.

I think I pay what that Jeep is worth every year in insurance and repairs. I really am trying to save money to buy a new(er) car, but I have other financial obligations to take care of and it's so frustrating when stuff like this happens.

It sucks being responsible!

Anonymous said...

Diane,

I'm with Don. Go across the street to Kragens and get a Chiltons book and a new hose. You can do the change yourself. There's a belt and a couple of bolts to loosen. Probably more than a "15 minute job", but it'll be cheap and it'll be a great "relationship builder" for you and your guy. They would (if they were willing) charge you $90 for an hour of labor. That's the smallest increment they're willing to bill. Not worth it. And then you'll have a book to help you with some of those little repairs that eat at your wallet.

Just my 2 cents....

Your friendly neighbor.